Teacher's Professional Toolkit
We invite you to explore and utilize the many resources in THSC's Teacher's Professional Toolkit to continue to develop your pedagogy and enhance your marketability.
Common Core Learning Standards/Danielson Framework
Advance - Information on NYC's new system of development and evaluation.
EngageNY - Your go-to site for teaching and learning about Common Core in NYS
Common Core State Standards Initiative - This site provides a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them.
The Danielson Group - The Danielson Group seeks to advance the understanding and application of Charlotte Danielson's concepts in the educational community, connect them to other areas of knowledge and enhance professional practices of educators so as to positively impact student learning.
Met Project - Overview of the Classroom Observation Protocols
Top of Page
Core Subject Resources
Social Studies - Resources for educators of social studies, history, global studies, etc.:
- EDSITEment - A treasure trove for teachers, students, and parents searching for high-quality material on the Internet in the subject areas of history, social studies, and more.
- Social Studies for Kids - Social Studies is all about teachers, too. If you're an educator, these links are for you!
- National Council for the Social Studies - provide leadership, service, and support for all social studies educators.
- History Teacher - A great resource for all of your Social Studies needs.
- NYCDOE Social Studies Resources - Social Studies teaching resources.
- Khan Academy - A not-for-profit with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education to anyone anywhere.
Math - Resources for educators of mathematics, statistics, etc.:
- Math Goodies - Math lessons that actively engage learners and provide in-depth instruction.
- AAA Math - A comprehensive set of interactive arithmetic lessons.
- Math.com - Dedicated to providing revolutionary ways for students, parents, teachers, and everyone to learn math.
- TeacherVision - Challenge your students with creative mathematics lessons, printable worksheets, activities, quizzes, and more
- Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators - Resources to aid your mathematics classroom
- NYCDOE Teacher Resources - A variety of math resources.
English Language Arts - Resources for educators of ELA, humanities, etc.:
- Web English Teacher - For every English Teacher: beginning teachers can find guidance; experienced teachers can find inspiration.
- National Council of Teachers of English - Devoted to improving the teaching and learning of English and the language arts at all levels of education.
- NYCDOE Teacher Resources - A variety of English Language Arts Resources.
- Internet4Classrooms - A free web portal designed to assist anyone who wants to find high-quality, free Internet resources to use in classroom instruction or beyond.
Science - Resources for educators of the sciences, etc.:
English as a Second Language - Resources for educators of English as a Second Language, English as a Foreign Language, English for speakers of Other Languages, etc.:
- One Stop English - Offers high-quality resources that you can trust. Materials come with clear step-by-step teaching notes and are standalone - you will not need to prepare extra materials in order to complete the lesson.
- ESL Site - A great, quality resource for teachers of ESL.
- NYSUT Educators Resource - A variety of ESL Resources for the classroom.
- UsingEnglish.com - Provides a large collection of ESL tools & resources for students, teachers, learners, and academics.
Top of Page
Current Education Trends/News
- Rethinking Schools - Advocacy for the reform of elementary and secondary education, with a strong emphasis on issues of equity and social justice.
- Teaching For Change - Provides teachers and parents with the tools to transform schools into centers of justice where students learn to read, write and change the world.
- Teachers 4 Social Justice - Provides opportunities for self-transformation, leadership, and community building to educators in order to affect meaningful change in the classroom, school, community and society.
- Change the Schools - To change the schools, we must change our minds; by changing our minds, we can change the world.
- The Center for Comprehensive School Reform and Improvement - The purpose of The Center is to assist schools and school districts contemplating or engaged in school reform and improvement.
- School Reform Initiative - An alliance of educators committed to creating transformational learning communities fiercely committed to educational equity and excellence.
- Education Articles - A collection of education articles that are free to read, and free to share. The education articles on this website are selected for suitability by a real teacher and writer. Only articles on K-12 education topics relevant to parents, teachers, or other educators are selected for inclusion.
- Education News - Since 1997, EducationNews has provided the latest daily EducationNews coverage from world-wide sources.
- Education Week - America's most respected source for education news and insight.
Top of Page
Lesson Planning Ideas/Educator's Resources
- Scholastic, Inc. - A great educator-s resource for lesson planning ideas, activities, and other classroom strategies
- Public Broadcasting Service - America's largest classroom, the nation-s largest stage for the arts and a trusted window to the world. In addition, PBS's educational media helps prepare children for success in school and opens up the world to them in an age-appropriate way.
- Teachers.net - An online resource for teachers in lesson planning, classroom activities, and professional groups. It also has a chatboard that allows you to communicate with teachers all around the world.
- Laura Candler's Teaching Resources - Here you'll find hundreds of printables and activities that make powerful teaching easy.
- ABC Teach - Free educational website for teachers for Pre-K - 8 materials and creative activities for students and educators.
- Education Helper- EdHelper.com is an online resources created by teachers dedicated to providing teachers with a single shop for educational resources.
- The Teacher's Corner - An online tool for teacher resources and classroom management.
- Learning Page - Resource for professionally produced lesson plans, books, worksheets, and much more.
- Read Write Think - Hundreds of standards-based lesson plans written and reviewed by educators using current research and the best instructional practices.
- Lessons Plans Page - Hundreds of lesson plans by teachers for teachers.
- Lesson Planet - A convenient way to discover and share innovative lesson plans.
- Discovery Education - Supports teachers in accelerating student achievement, bringing the world of Discovery into classrooms to ignite students- natural curiosity.
- Education World - A complete online resource that provides high-quality lesson plans and research materials
- LessonPlanZ.com - A searchable directory of free online lesson plans and lesson plan resources for all grades and subjects.
- Teacher Vision - Find 22,000 pages of classroom-ready lesson plans, printables, and resources.
- Teachers First - A teacher resource dedicated to helping teachers since 1998.
- Classroom 2.0 - The list of the Top 100 Videos for Teachers
- YouTube Teachers - A variety of videos on any topic or content area for the classroom.
- Teaching Channel - Inspired teaching, like any great art, should be seen. Teaching Channel lifts the curtain on inspiring classrooms.
- Teacher Tube - An online community for sharing instructional videos.
- Teachers Network - A non-profit organization-by teachers, for teachers-dedicated to improving student learning in public schools nationally and internationally.
Top of Page
- National Association of Special Education Teachers - Provides an extensive website of nationally recognized resources covering all content areas that a special education teacher would need to work with students with special needs.
- Special Education Resources - A variety of resources for all types of students
- SERGE: Special Education Resources for General Educators - Provides general classroom educators with quick access to information and professional development about addressing the needs of students who have disabilities and special education.
- TinSnips - A special education resource that strives to share a variety of specialized teaching tools, techniques, worksheets, and activities with teachers of students who have autistic spectrum disorders and related developmental disabilities.
- Do2Learn - Provides thousands of pages of social skills and behavioral regulation activities and guidance, learning songs and games, communication cards, academic material, and transition guides for employment and life skills.
- SEN Teacher - Provides cost-free teaching & learning resources for students with special needs and learning disabilities.
Top of Page
- 4Teachers - Works to help you integrate technology into your classroom by offering online tools and resources.
- SMART - SMART helps teachers bring more collaboration and interactivity into the classroom.
- Teachers Love Smart Boards - Helps teachers find quality resources to use with their SMART Boards.
Top of Page
Webinars - Web-based seminars that train and/or professionally develop educators
- ASCD Webinars - provides expert and innovative solutions in professional development, capacity building, and educational leadership essential to the way educators learn, teach, and lead.
- Thinkfinity - Offers comprehensive teaching and learning resources created by our content partners - the most respected organizations in each academic subject and literacy. The easy-to-navigate K-12 resources are grade-specific and are aligned with state standards.
- Education Week - Provides high-quality print and online products on K-12 education.
Top of Page
Additional Teacher Resources
Electronic Grade Books
- Engrade - Offers all teacher services for free, including electronic gradebook services.
- ThinkWave - An advanced way for schools and teachers to manage classroom information online.
- Jupiter Grades - Web-based gradebook for teachers, schools, and districts, K-12 to
- Education.com - From kindergarten readiness through college prep, Education.com gives parents the information they need and the ideas they want to help their kids reach their full potential and make learning fun.
- Teaching Degree - The goal is to help you find the perfect online school match for your professional and personal goals in teaching and education.
Top of Page